Maria & I recently fulfilled our annual tradition of going to Cirque du Soleil
. This time around we saw Quidam
. But getting to the circus was the highlight of the night and I'd encourage any Charminguy to "suss-out" (aussie for find) one of two currently functioning London style taxi's in Barcelona.
We caught it at Plaza Cataluña
and were soon off on our adventure! I like to entertain Maria, as her love language is "acts of service" and so I started to ask the driver some questions;
- What was up with half the city streets being closed last night?
- "oh, that was the police on their annual mission to show work. The closed off the Eixample area to catch drug dealers and confiscate apartments from where they operated. The night before they blocked off areas of Ciutat Vella to catch the prostitutes."
- WOW! That was allot of excitement! So tell me about your taxi. Why a London cab in Barcelona?
- "Cause I love them. there are only two now and we used to be 18. We buy them from an importer in Valencia. They are a bit more expensive to maintain, but I love these cars and in two years, I'm taking this one off the market and keeping it to restore."
- It's great that you're so passionate, but how do you justify the extra expense/loss of profit?
- "Well, I don have another motivation, it's the only taxi big enough for me to transport my «Cheri». You see, a couple of years ago I found this stray pup (pointing to the floor of the taxi next to him) and it's been my company ever since. I love this dog. At night, I sleep on my boat in Porto OlImpico and she goes around to thE restaurants for food. I always get a call from the owners asking me to come get her."
- WOW, that's a fascinating story! What's her name?
- "I named her after a passenger. Her name is «Chantal»! On the day I found her, I was working a wedding and the bride kept asking me her name. I didn't have one, so I gave her the brides name! ;-) Not sure she appreciated it, but what the heck!"
And with that the ride was over! We paid the driver, gave him a nice tip for telling us his story and loved his wide grin which was even more comical as he was missing a front tooth! Maria was full of excitement about the wonderful ride and we had just arrived at the circus where the show was about to begin. Whilst it might have been a great show, as was to be expected, we still have a fond memory for our London cab in Barcelona, which "Chantal" riding "shotgun"!! LOL ;-)
And so next time you're in Barcelona, hail down the London cab with Chantal and give your lady a pleasant surprise and a beautiful story! Or better yet, wherever you are in the world, take any opportunity with your lovely lady, and make the most of it. A cab driver, a waitress, that policeman who's about to stop you for speeding.. ask him to tell you a great story that's moved him/her recently! Public servants see it all and your lady will love the adventure!
Well that all for today! What stories do you have to share with us?